Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:33:31 -0700
From:      "Kurt Seifried" <seifried@securityportal.com>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "Moses Backman III" <penguinjedi@home.com>, "Todd Backman" <todd@flyingcroc.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: woah

> In a perfect world, you have your admin send you a pgp signed
> message with the server public key in it.  When you initially
> authenticate, you sure as hell make sure it matches.
>
> Not that difficult.

So you're volunteering to install PGP/GnuPG on 30,000 machines at the local university, and educate users how to use it? I'm sure
Bob Beck will be happy to hear from you.

This isn't a perfect world and we all know it. That's one reason I wrote this article.

> > > This is like blaming bullet proof vests for the moron that decided to
> > > wear his like a turban. :)
> >
> > What is it with stupid gun related examples. It's more like me
> > saying "The end of bullet proof vests - Someone just realeased a
> > product called "sure headshot (TM)" that gives you pretty much
> > guarenteed head shot, meaning your BPV might be useful for ID'ing
> > the corpse".
>
> I don't think so, dsniff only allows the interception when the user
> allows it to happen either by ignorance or carelessness.  Sort of
> like wearing a bullet proof vest as a turban.

Argh. I give up.

> dsniff can _not_ intercept SSL/SHH when proper security measures
> are taken.

And how many people take those proper measures. Well maybe after readiong this article some more will. If you got a better way to
educate people I'm open to suggestions.

> If that's true then why not explain in a calm manner how there are
> major problems if these tools aren't used carefully, instead of
> sensationalizing with a headline "The End of SSL and SSH?" ?
>
> You know how much I love sensationalists, Kurt.  I've come down
> hard on false reports of vulnerabilities and sensationalistic
> journalists.
>
> As an upcoming journalist you owe it to the community to be more
> objective, educational and levelheaded with your stories.

Please tell me about the factual errors/etc. As for the headline I didn't think it was sensationalistic, I think it's an honest
question. SSL/SSH are far from perfect, I think we're far beyond the point where we should be looking for replacements (let's not
pull a telnet here...).

> bye,

-Kurt