Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 15:37:48 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Munging ELF binaries and libraries.

Has anyone written any tools that allow one to

a) Change the names of external symbols referenced by a library or exported
out of a library.

b) Add to the list of shared objects that this library needs in order to run,
so that a runtime linker will drag them in as well when a binary linked with
this shared library is run.

The reason for the above is that I'm planning on tweaking various linux-only
ELF libs so that when they're linked into a FreeBSD binary, a shim library
will be automagically dragged in as well. This will allow FreeBSD users to
happily create binaries that use 3dfx's glide library, for instance. Can you
say hardware accelerated OpenGL?

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California