Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 12:50:12 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, itojun@iijlab.net
Subject:   Re: (mgp-users 00027) graphic tablet experiecne ?

On 04-Oct-98 Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> ok, i managed to modify moused (was relatively simple) to talk to my
> unit, which happens to be  made by "Genius" and has an apparently
> documented protocol. The mods are at
>
>       http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/moused.diffs

I'll have a look at this and see if I can integrate my Wacom code (well
most of it is just a wrapper around the code in the XF86 library, but it
can be compiled standalone).

>> PS. Using absolute mode to move around the display is very strange
>> but you get used to it!
>
> you bet! in fact, moused only allows relative mouse motion events
> which is a bit unconvenient. After 1/2 hour working with it i have the
> following feelings:
>
>  * using a pen is WAY more convenient than a mouse and buttons for
>    menu selection etc. And for drawing there is absolutely no
>    comparison.
>
>  * i think a few buttons on the stylus would be extremely convenient to
>    use. My unit has only one button (the tip) and one near the pad.
>    I am mapping the tip as button 1, which is ok for most things,
>    but double-click etc. are not very easy.
>    Plus, when you put back the stylus, the cursor follows you...

The plan I have is to map some regions of the tablet as "function"
areas. Pressing the tip generates some user defined event. At present
these are function key button presses which I then set up my window
manager to fire up xterms etc. on.

X allows one to change the mapping of the physical to logical buttons.
I have thrown together a small app (in TK) to toggle the settings.

>  * In many occasions, i really miss the ability to map the whole
>    tablet (or a fraction) within a window, so i don't have to
>    "imagine" the boundaries of the working area while drawing.
>    In order to do this, however, i do need two things:
>      + absolute coordinates
>      + feedback from the server on the window's geometry

This is already availalbe in X (for the Wacom tablets).  A number of
virtual tablets can be created.  I would suggest that you look at
xf86Wacom.c somewhere in the XFree86 source tree. Also look at
gsumi-1.0.1 from http://www.gtk.org/~otaylor/i for a application that
does this (only for Wacom I think but may be able to do any of the
tablets).

XFree86 has additions to the X input code, it appears that the
standard XsendEvent interface isn't really up to the job of sending
the required information. The XIE modules use these extensions to
multiplex any number of input devices to the mouse.

> Any idea on how to improve moused communication with its consumers
> (the X server, or syscons) ?

We could pretend to be an extended input device, via a pty?. This can then
be opened by any of the XIE devices. The moused code would need to be a
pass through to the real device.

Duncan

---