Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:52:52 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        weh@microsoft.com, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Very slow scp performance comparing to Linux

Wei Hu <weh_at_microsoft.com> wrote on
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:55:35 UTC :

> Thanks for the update. Seems the numbers are the same on zfs and ufs. =
That's=20
> good to know.=20
>=20
> Yes, your numbers on ARM64 are better than mine on Intel. However, my =
original
> intention was to find out why scp on Linux is performing much better =
than FreeBSD
> under the same hardware env.=20
>=20
> Is it possible to try Linux in your ARM64 setting? I am using Ubuntu =
22.04 on ext4=20
> file system.

I tried to use the Hyper-V Quick Create on the Windows Dev Kit 2023
to install a Ubuntu 22.04 . (No clue if ext4 would result.) But the
Hyper-V UEFI reports for the disk created:

1. SCSI Disk 0,0
     The boot loader did not load an operating system.

(It then reports the network adapter attempt found no
boot image, but that is expected.)

That leaves me wondering if Hyper-V Quick Create
established a VM file holding Intel/AMD material
despite the aarch64 context.

Establishing a Ubuntu more directly is not familiar and
will have to be a background activity and, so, likely
will not be timely. If I did any experiments outside
Hyper-V (native booting), they would be with slower
USB3 SSD media than I use for FreeBSD.

I did notice that Hyper-V Quick Create did not create
a fixed sized disk but a dynamic sized one. That is
different than what I did for FreeBSD.

Also, it was not obvious if you were after aarch64
Hyper-V testing vs. native-boot testing vs. both. So
I may have gone the wrong direction from the start.
It is possible that I'd find establishing a native-boot
easier and then be able to have a VM file created from
the media, more like what I did with FreeBSD.

The Ubuntu activity likely would not be analogous to
the FreeBSD builds having -mcpu=3D optimization used.

Back to $work.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com