Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:16:46 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Gavin Cameron <gavin@itworks.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with compile of 3.1-STABLE

Gavin Cameron wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile a 3.1 world using yesterday's source code and I get
> the following error during the build of doscmd. The machine I'm upgrading
> is a server WITHOUT X installed...
>
> cc -nostdinc -O -pipe -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include -DDISASSEMBLER
> How should I go about building a world so this error doesn't happen?

Here is a cheap method that might work:

edit /usr/src/usr.bin/Makefile

removing the line that looks like:

        doscmd \

Actually, looking through the source code for tty.c (in
/usr/src/usr.bin/doscmd) there are lines that are enclosed with
#ifndef NO_X
#endif

It seems odd to me that you got an error at this point - you should have
got it when you tried to compile tty.c.  Maybe, although you don't have
X windows installed, you do have the directories /usr/X11R6/include
and /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a - well look inside

/usr/src/usr/sbin/Makefile

I have lines like:

.if exists(${X11BASE}/include) && exists(${X11BASE}/lib/libX11.a)
CFLAGS+= -I. -I${X11BASE}/include -DDISASSEMBLER
LDADD= -L${X11BASE}/lib -lX11
DPADD= ${X11BASE}/lib/libX11.a
.else
CFLAGS+= -I. -DDISASSEMBLER -DNO_X

Of course, my source is about a month old, so maybe this part got left out
somehow.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu