Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:23:28 +0100
From:      "Daniel Bye" <danielby@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP server

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:43:32AM +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm not sure if this is an issue with my dhcp server or the client, but=
=20
> since I seem to get troubles with two different clients, I'm thinking it=
=20
> might be the server:
>=20
>=20
> I've got a FreeBSD 7.0-p4 machine running isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.5_2=20
> serving my home network. When my Linux (Archlinux) client request
> a lease, this happens:
>=20
> [root@weld:~]$ dhcpcd -n eth0
> eth0: dhcpcd 4.0.2 starting
> eth0: broadcasting for a lease
> eth0: offered 10.0.0.176 from 10.0.1.1 `mirrorball'
> eth0: checking 10.0.0.176 is available on attached networks
>=20
> ... and then it times out, and does not configure the network. This=20
> makes me think that there may be a client issue, since the DCHP server=20
> does indeed offer an address. But I also have troubles with a Mac OS X=20
> client (although it's a little more vague about the errors).

If the server is handing out /24 network prefixes, then once your clients
bind the offered address in 10.0.0/24, they can no longer communicate with=
=20
the server in 10.0.1/24.

You can

a) give the DHCP server an alias IP address in 10.0.0/24 on the
   appropriate interface
b) change the network prefix to 16 bits, so that 10.0.0 and 10.0.1
   (and ALL other addresses with the prefix 10.0) are in the same=20
   logical network space
c) renumber your DHCP pool

Dan

--=20