Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 13:04:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading - one more time please

	This should really go to -questions, since the issues involved
don't relate to -stable.

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Sue Blake wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies to this one :-)
>
> On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 07:16:26PM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> >
> > I've got a machine running 2.2.7-STABLE which I want to upgrade to
> > the current -STABLE. I also want the full repository.
> > I have a 3.1-RELEASE CD, so I can grab its repository, cvsup, and
> > pull out the latest -STABLE sources.
>
> OK, that's where I'm up to, got the full repository and need to replace
> last year's sources with the newies. Now I've got a mental block or
> hole or something, just spent the last two hours reading doccos and
> writing down a list of possibly correct ways to checkout the sources
> for 3.2-STABLE so that they replace the existing 2.2.7-STABLE sources.

	You should move your kernel config file (and any other custom
items) to a safe place (like your home directory), then 'cd /usr/src && rm
-r *'. cvs keeps a lot of meta information in the directory structure so
you don't want to clutter it up with crufty old versions of things lying
about.

> If I try to represent what my mind is juggling, it's something like
> cvs [-q] [co|update] [-P] [-d] [-r RELENG_3] [src|world]

With /usr/src totally clean, cd to /usr and do:

cvs co -rRELENG_3 src

	Once that's done, you might want to add the following to the
.cvsrc file in your home directory. I've cobbled this together from
personal preferences and advice from the experienced cvs users on the
lists:

checkout -P
update -Pd
diff -u
rdiff -u

> Then from the responses I got to my other questions, it seems that I
> can try 'make upgrade' before messing around and see how I go, and if
> it doesn't work then do a binary upgrade install from the 3.1 CDs. At
> the end I'll have either an updated system or a hilarious web page :-)

	If you get to the point where a make upgrade has soiled your
system, you'd be better off using the cd's to wipe your disk and start
over. Obviously, you want to have appropriate backups before undertaking
any of this.

	I'm hoping to finish up a web page that has some more detailed
instructions on upgrading from older versions soon, in an ideal world I'll
have it done this weekend.

--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter