Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:14:48 +1000
From:      Rob Secombe <robseco@teksupport.net.au>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

Hi,

I agree. I believe it is as a result of the output queue filling as a
result of the link dying. In my case our customer was using a Alcatel ADSL
modem and it was the ethernet link between the FreeBSD box and the modem
that was falling over. I suspect that the NIC was trying to negotiate
100baseTX <full-duplex> or the like and the modem is only capable of
10baseT/UTP. The link led on the modem goes out and the media status on the
NIC was inactive in the failed state. The problem was resolved thus:

ifconfig_rl1="media 10baseT/UTP -mediaopt full-duplex up"

I have a bunch of these "out there" running on different providers,
including Tel$tra, without any problems.

Cheers

Rob.