Date:      Tue, 01 May 2012 16:57:40 -0400
From:      "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Replacing dead drives in ZRAID2

Hello,

I decided to give ZFS ZRAID2 a shot after getting fed up with some legacy
hardware RAID cards that don't properly perform, or at all, patrol-reads +
consistency checking. So...

I can't seem to figure out the proper way to replace a dead drive in a running
system with SCSI+SES enclosure. I tried:

zpool detach zroot baddrive
camcontrol stop baddrive

At this point when I pull the drive out, I get bus reset errors, etc... I will go
into details after someone confirms whether the above 2 steps suffice
to pull a dead/malfunctioning drive out from SES enclosure or am I missing
something?

I tried to simulate drive failure by pulling 2 out of 3 ZRAID2 drives. The first
drive pull went smoothly. System noticed drive disconnected and stopped
using it. The 2nd drive pull resulted in bunch of errors and system froze
completely. I can't pull 2 drives out in ZRAID2 system and expect the
machine to continue to function? what am I missing :\

PS: I couldn't find dedicated FreeBSD ZFS email list, is there one?

Thank you very much!
Simon