Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:56:13 -0400
From:      Olin Shivers <shivers@shivers.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        crossd@cs.rpi.edu, freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a new beginning

   > I certainly think this is a very worthwhile project, as is the DCE/DFS
   > project.  I am just trying to decide in my mind what is a better use of
   > my time, writing from scratch something that already exists and is
   > 'close' to working, or trying to understand someone elses code and bend
   > it to fit a model it doesn't presently.

   Now the only thing preventing AFS from being a free file system is the
   lack of a server that is freely available.  And the nice thing about
   getting to the project first is the ability to dictate the BSD license
   :-).

Yes!

This would be a very important piece of software to create. AFS is like
the Web, but much better -- it has real semantics, it scales, it automatically
operates with any app that understands files. It is a global filesystem.
If AFS could be rolled out across the Internet open software community, it
would be a tremendous enabler.

AFS is a community-enabling piece of technology. It encourages sharing and
cooperation. Its impact has always been limited by the lack of a free server
-- contrast to NFS.
    -Olin