Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:00:38 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing AIT MIC? (memory in cartridge)

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 16:56:01 +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Has anyone got any code in FreeBSD to do this? Each AIT tape has some memory
> on it which the drive can read and write.
>
> The device in question is a Sony SDX-500V, and I also have a Sony SDX-300C.
>
> I had a look on Google for Linux or FreeBSD related stuff but no joy :(

It probably wouldn't be hard to talk to it if you had the specs on how to
do it.  (It would only be a few SCSI commands to talk to it.)  You'd just
have to teach your backup application how to write out the relevant data
to the MIC part.

IIRC, at least on the early AIT drives, not every AIT tape had the MIC
feature.  The tapes that had it were a little more expensive.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org