Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2020 21:19:17 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        bsd-lists@bsdforge.com
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: importing kyua into the base system

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 9:14 PM Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 16:48:29 +0000 Brooks Davis brooks@freebsd.org said
>
> > I'll be importing kyua and it's dependency lutok into the base system
> > this week.  Integrating it into the FreeBSD build system will make it
> > available by default which is especially valuable on emerging
> > architectures were we aren't building packages yet (e.g. riscv).
> >
> From the wiki (https://github.com/jmmv/kyua/wiki/About)
>
> Use cases: New system installation:
> When setting up a new server with brand-new hardware, it's very desirable
> to ensure a minimum stability of the operating system that runs on top and
> how it interacts with the hardware.
> erm... *minimum* stability of the operating system?!
> If this is as mistaken as it appears. Someone(tm) might want to run kyua
> against the wiki. ;)

I believe the point it's trying to make it is that tests aren't
all-inclusive; they will miss things or induce little stress, but
they're a great smoketest to rule out most of the basic issues. You
can't really make much stronger claims than this about the stability
of the system based on running a test suite, unless we're talking
stress2 style suites.