Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 23:23:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: netscape 4.02b7

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> >> I was poking around on netscape ftp servers and I found 4.02b7
> >> released for freebsd.  I first got the bsdi1.1 version as the 2.1
> >> version core dumped when using java when it came out 2 days ago,
> >> but today I went and I found the freebsd version on the ftp site.
> >>
> >> Anyway, hit
> >> ftp://ftp23.netscape.com//pub/communicator/4.02/4.02b7/english/unix
> >
> > Just to note that it's still in the process of propagating to the
> > other FTP sites, which is why no one had quite announced it yet. :)
> >
> > Once it does make it, someone will undoubtedly create a port for it
> > which takes care of all the installation issues.
> >
> > Thanks also go out to a certain skunk-works project at Netscape who
> > produced this product for FreeBSD!
>
> Grrrr.  Who took it away?  I downloaded
> /pub/communicator/4.02/4.02b7/english/unix/freebsd/professional_edition/communicator-v402b7-export.x86-unknown-freebsd.tar.gz
> this morning, and had difficulties installing it: it doesn't seem to
> contain any app_defaults/Netscape.  So I went back to have a look, and
> at 17:45 on August 3 (round the end of my download), the files appear
> to have been removed.
>
> I found the answer to my question: the install script doesn't install
> the app-defaults/Netscape file, but it's in the main install directory
> (which, for some reason, defaulted to /opt/netscape) as Netscape.ad.
>
> BTW, this is just a beta release which expires at the end of October.

Hmmm.... looks like it is still there as of 8-3-97 11PM PDT...  Perhaps,
it's not on all of Netscape's ftp servers.

Looks like another champion of a web browser and appears to be much more
stable.  (If anyone at Netscape is listening in... good job.)  Only wish
it had Conference and Netcaster, but I guess we still have to iron out
the sound code.

Shoppers Network (Support)      AMD K5/K6s, Cyrix 6x86, Intel Pentiums/Pro
Phone: (415) 759-8584           Email: howard@shoppersnet.com
==============================> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com