Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 20:14:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fortran problems/Linux emu problems

Dear Sirs.

We run several server systems under FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE using several
Linux Fortran F90 and F95 compilers. We tried VAST F90 and Lahey/Fujitsu
LF95 V5.5.

We need NCAR graphics for research and education purposes and we run into several
problems.

First I will explain what happens when installing NACRG-4.2.1-PC_LINUX (g77 precompiled
binaries).

Linux_base and Linux_devtools are properly installed.

Installation of precompiled Linux binaries NCARG-4.2.1-PC_LINUX works well, after
editing config/env.LINUX_PC.

We also compiled NCARG 4.2.2 from source by switching '/compat/linux/bin/sh -l'
into a Linux environment and compiling the sources with the appropriate compiler.

VAST F90:

After installing VAST F90 we tried to compile several software suits. NCARG 4.2.2
is not compiling well with vf90 since several portions of the suite are dropping
into errors.

Using ncarg 4.2.1-LINUX precompiled from NCAR:
Another self made software, using ncarg extensively, works well with vf90. The
program calculates several trajectories and produces graphical output, using IDT.
Result: source compiles, result with idt viewable.

Trying to compile this little program works, but execution of the program results in
an error:

  program iotest
  write (11,'(B)') 'Hello World!'
  end program iotest

This happens also after brandelf'ing the compiled 'hello'.
The error is:

startio: error in format
apparent state: unit 11 named fort.11
last format: (b)
lately writing sequential formatted external IO
Abort trap (core dumped)

Lahey/Fujitsu LF95:

Installation of Lahey/Fujitsu LF95 works fine and all things seems to be clear after
brandelfing the whole bin directory.

Compiling NCARG 4.2.2 works well, almost all programs get compiled and installed.

Compiling the same numerical application as above with f90 now with lf95 and ncarg 4.2.2
results in strange code. Compilation works, but when calling idt to sho the result
shows an idt-error:

reading stdout of translator: Illegal seek
Translator aborted

Nothing is shown in idt.

Then I switch over to nacrg-4.2.1 precompiled binaries.
The sources nveer compile the right way, I get a lot of unreferenced call errors
like this:

lf95 -O pvinv.f90 -I/homes/vwirth/lib -L/homes/vwirth/lib -lvwplot -L/usr/local/ncarg/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lncarg -lncarg_gks
-lncarg_c -lX11
Compiling file pvinv.f90.
Compiling program unit pvinv at line 1:
/usr/local/ncarg/lib/libncarg.a(agsetc.o): In function `agsetc_':
agsetc.o(.text+0x13d): undefined reference to `s_cmp'
/usr/local/ncarg/lib/libncarg.a(agsetp.o): In function `agsetp_':
agsetp.o(.text+0x4d4): undefined reference to `s_cmp'
/usr/local/ncarg/lib/libncarg.a(gridal.o): In function `gridal_':
gridal.o(.text+0x3af): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0x4b7): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0xc43): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0x102e): undefined reference to `s_copy'
gridal.o(.text+0x1280): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0x16ff): undefined reference to `s_copy'
gridal.o(.text+0x1a73): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0x1d70): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0x231e): undefined reference to `s_wsfi'
gridal.o(.text+0x2334): undefined reference to `do_fio'
gridal.o(.text+0x233c): undefined reference to `e_wsfi'
gridal.o(.text+0x23c2): undefined reference to `s_wsfi'
gridal.o(.text+0x23d8): undefined reference to `do_fio'
gridal.o(.text+0x23e0): undefined reference to `e_wsfi'
gridal.o(.text+0x2690): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0x26ca): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0x270f): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
gridal.o(.text+0x2749): undefined reference to `r_lg10'
/usr/local/ncarg/lib/libncarg.a(plchhq.o): In function `plchhq_':

 and so on

And another obscure thing happens:

   program iotest
   write (11,'(B)') 'Hello World!'
   end program iotest

does not work as it should be! It results in this error:

	An I/O error was detected (c library=getcwd, unit=11).

It is standard code, but why isn't it working?

It is hard to me to explain the right way to understand all things some Gurus
need to know, but I hope I gave enough informations to make some hints.

Due the fact VAST F90 isn't capable to compile 'Numerical Recipes' and a lot of other
F90 type Fortran stuff, we would like to use Lahey/Fujitsu lf95 Fortran. Many programs,
suites and self made software compiles under lf95. But what's up with the ncarg libs?
When compiling under Linux-emulation with Linux compilers the result is inoperable,
i think there is a problem with the X11-stuff but I have no time to figure out.

Using the Linux precompiled version 4.2.1 of NCARG lf95 results in a bunch of unreferenced
call errors as shown above. These errors are well known when essential libs couldn't be
linked properly, but I have no glue how to check why lf95 is not capable linking existing
libraries. compiling the same suite with the same Linux precompiles of ncarg 4.2.1 with
VAST F90 works well ...

IF YOU HAVE A HINT, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know it!

I appreciate everything you want to donate ...

Thanks ...

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)