Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:07:26 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Snapshot ufs blocking

Since there's been some chatter about snapshots recently, I thought I'd
give more snapshots a try along with some quick tests.

I've recently updated my server to 6.1-PRERELEASE (as of yesterday), and
am running happily.

Now, for the snapshot information.

While creating a snapshot (on a rather large 2tb volume that is 94%
used), using:

mksnap_ffs /vol1 /vol1/.snap/2006-03-10.snap

I can move around /vol1, ls, df, etc.  I can cd to /vol1/.snap/, and do
an ls, and the snapshot continues just fine.  However, as soon as I do a
ls -al against the /vol1/.snap/2006-03-10.snap file (in this case, my
cwd is /vol1/.snap/ and I do an ls -al), the ls blocks on ufs, and then
subsequent ls -al's of the root (/), the partition (/vol1/), all block
in 'ufs'.  Also, once this has happened, my mksnap_ffs stops, also
blocked in 'ufs', and my ls's don't return (I've only waited about 20
minutes though).  I could see the stat on the snapshot file itself
blocking, but the rest of the system shouldn't block, should it?

Eric