Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:37:48 PDT
From:      Stephen Hansen <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
To:        rob <europax@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Linux Compatibility Mode

Le sigh. I figured out my own problem almost immediately after sending
the
request. Not that anyone answered, buut :)

I _assumed_ that the rpm program would automatically be setup to ignore
the fact that you're installing programs for a different OS, and would
check
in the linux-compatibility tree... Bad assumption, you know what they
say
about assumptions, yes?

Using the following flags, i got 'rpm' to work just fine:

rpm --ignoreos --root=/compat/linux

Make sure you have Linux compatibility on, and be aware that everything
will then be installed in /compat/linux/usr/local/bin, etc, which isn't
in your
path prolly, so you might want to add it in or symlink the results over
into
/usr/local/bin.

"rob" wrote:

>  Subject: Re: Problems with Linux Compatibility Mode
>  Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:54:14 +0000
>  From: rob <europax@home.com>
>  To: Stephen Hansen <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
>  Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

>  I have tried to use the linux rpm in order to install the gtk+1.2
>  libraries (needed by Mozilla), but was never successful.  The linux
rpm
>  program consistantly failed at unpacking the archives.  So I would
like
>  to also hear if anyone has had success.  I have searched for
>  documentation on the Linux emulation part of FreeBSD and have come
up
>  with nothing.  Rob
>

>  Stephen Hansen wrote:
>  >
>  > I'm running FreeBSD 4.1, and for some reason, the 'rpm' program/etc
is not
>  > looking in /compat/linux/var/lib/rpm, the 'shadow' fs that Linux
proggies
>  > are susposed to use. Instead, it's looking in my basic
/var/lib/rpm.