Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:56:15 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: JDK 1.3 and JHTTP Servlet Engines

Dear All,

I wasn't aware of this thread until Ernst CC'd me. Sorry to pipe in so late.
Thanks for pinging me.

On the subject of Sun licensing: the license forbids the FreeBSD project to
distribute pre-build JDK or JRE binaries. If you download the source code
and build the binaries yourself, for example by using the port, you are free
to use it in a production environment if you like. You just cannot give the
binaries to anyone else, that's all.

> > Are you running Orion standalone?  Im very much interested in
> > performance and from what ive read from different ad hoc benchmarks,
> > apache does a better job at serving static content and
> > should there be
> > used as the default web server on port 80 while tossing jsp/servlet
> > requests to Orion on port 8080.  What are you thoughts?

You can do this if you like. I prefer to run Orion standalone, since it
gives me one less daemon to keep track of.

I've heard on the orion-interest mailing list that Orion beats Apache at
static content, since it does not have all the extensions that Apache has.
I'm sure that you can prove whatever you like in your own personal
benchmark. :-)

> I have been running Orion stand-alone, but I intend to create
> make a port
> (either the current www/orion or a new one) install Orion and
> Apache in a way
> that Apache servces the static content (.html, .txt, .gif,
> .jpg, etc.) while
> Orion serves the dynamic content (JSP's, servlets, etc.)

Please leave the www/orion port as standalone Orion, since that's what the
name says. Make an www/orion-apache meta-port instead.

> I do not have information about performance on FreeBSD, since
> I haven't done
> large deployments on FreeBSD systems. Perhaps Kees Jan Koster
> is the one to ask?

We're developing on FreeBSD-stable/Orion1.5.2/MySQL323, but final deployment
is going to be Solaris/Orion1.5.2/Oracle. Our datacenter are experienced
Oracle and Solaris admins, so I'm not going to ask for anything different.
We'll be looking at about 1000 concurrent users, though none very active.
Peak in the morning, steady trickle during the day. Roll-out is in
feb./march 2002, ask me again then. :)

Orion (with Jikes) has given me no real grief so far. I use autodeployment,
but find you need to do "clean" deployment after changing any
orion-ejb-jar.xml, or after changing the database tables. Servlets,
enterprise beans and web pages redeploy flawlessly.

The only snag I've run into is that Orion sometimes deadlocks when you do an
HTTP request in the middle of an auto-deployment. Orion stops responding to
HTTP requests, even after the deployment is finished. I'm sure this bug is
known with the Orion team for some time, although they have not fixed it
yet. I would not use auto-deployment on a live production box anyway, so
this is not a show stopper.

    Kees Jan