Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 18:46:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

> > Umm, that's going to re-dial as soon as the line drops isn't it? That's not
> > dial on demand. Dial-on-demand saves my phone bill by only keeping the
> > line up while I'm actually using it. Remember we pay by the minute in
> > Europe, letting the line drop when it's idle is kinda important.
>
> Ahh, right.  I keep forgetting that I demand that my connection be up
> all the time.  ;)

Which has got me wondering, the US folks probably never see this
problem since the ISP won't drop the line for them since they don't pay
by the minute (at least not many of them). Our ISP drops the line after
2 mins idle time (configurable), if I wanted to keep the line up
permanently I could quite easily (and do if I really need to get work
done) but that's not how it should work.

So, is there anyone out there who has dial-on-demand working i.e. the
ISP drops the line when the connection is idle and the modem re-dials
automatically next time you send a packet.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)