Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:47:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is using fdisk a must?

> I'm experimenting with setting up scsi disks using disktab and disklabel.
> I've nutted out how disktab + disklabel works, and built successfully
> a disktab for the scsi drive I'm using. A COMPAQ C2490A 2.1GB drive.
> It appears to actually be a HP Manufactured drive. Anyway, having
> done that, the new drive goes through newfs ok, and the partitons mount.
> Everything appears to work.

It doesn't actually sound like you're quite there yet.

> However, doing 'fdisk sd1' tells me that the only partiton that is
> actualy a correct FreeBSD partition (slice) is the 'e' partiton.
> All the others have bad magic numbers and so on.

This makes no sense.  Partitions are not slices, and fdisk will never
tell you anything about partitions.

> Is a correct FreeBSD drive dependant on being made in the firstplace
> with fdisk, then labeled accordingly.?

If you are building a new disk to be used only with FreeBSD, the
correct process is either:

a) use /stand/sysinstall (and the configure menu) to slice/partition
   the disk.

b) proceed as follows, for the disk 'foo'.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo count=16
# disklabel -rwB foo auto
# disklabel -e foo
 [set the disk type to SCSI or ESDI (for IDE disks),
  add partitions to suit]