Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 05:20:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speak_freely

>  * Good point. Maybe in the past multimedia support (especially audio) has
>  * been a bit weak in FreeBSD, but now things have changed radically, and
>  * it would be a wise thing to create a "multimedia" category where to
>  * move such tools.
>
> But then what are we going to do with "audio"?

plain audio tools remains plain audio, e.g. timidity, sox, mpg123,
mikmod etc find their place there.

Depending on how we define "multimedia" (e.g. tools using _both_
audio and video (and the latter not only for a GUI), or collaborative
tools, ...) we can select what to put.

The term multimedia is really abused these days, so it practically
means nothing. Everytime I go shopping for peripherals I find
multimedia microphones, multimedia speakers, multimedia heaphones,
multimedia modems... oh yes, now I realize, it must be the color
-- a computerish cream/light grey ... non-multimedia audio equipment is
black!

	Cheers
	Luigi