Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:29:27 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        "'Nik Clayton'" <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How To's

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 01:43:23PM -0400, Peter Brezny wrote:
> I do think, however, that after all the buzz in the doc mailing list, that
> it may be very important to create a new subcategory of documentation.

The only subcategories we have are books and articles, and the distinction
is basically "Does it have more than one chapter?"

Most HOWTOs would be articles with lots of subsections.  However, some of
the Linux ones I've seen would break nicely into multiple chapters instead.

That's really the only categorisation I want to do in terms of the
physical organisation.

*However*, there is nothing to prevent us adding a CATEGORIES variable to
the Makefiles for each document, allowing us to classify them further, and
supporting this classification on the web site.  All it really needs is
for someone to write the infrastructure bits (hint).

Given enough time, I will do this, it's a commodity in short supply.

Send patches.

> or as steve mentioned, have an area where anyone can contrubute anything and
> then perhaps a more 'official area' where the contributions have been
> reviewed and made sure to be correct, the bottom line is we need some kind
> of step by step documentation, and i think to be true to the current
> documentation project, it would be bad to mix it in and water down the
> current hard core documentation that the super users are accustomed to.

This is all presentational.  At the bottom level, all the documentation, even
the "Well, it's only half written, and I might not get time to finish it"
stuff, belongs on the CVS tree in the doc/ subdir.  If people write
documentation, it will get committed.