Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:41:44 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>
To:        Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports depending on Perl

++ 09/01/03 19:33 +0100 - Ulrich Spoerlein:
| Hello,
|
| I'm trying to find out, which Ports depend on perl but fail to report
| that. So far, I have a list of 361 ports, that _might_ not build, when perl
| is missing. BUT there are enough knobs, that may require perl anyway.
|
| How can I find out, which USE_* Vars pull in perl?
| For example, if a port depends on Gnome (USE_GNOME), does that mean that
| perl is installed? (is gnome dependend on perl?)
|
| Does X need perl? (USE_XLIB, USE_X_PREFIX)

You need to look through the /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.*.mk files to get a
handle on that.

| Or should all ports using stuff like this
|         @${PERL} -pi -e 's|-lpthread|${PTHREAD_LIBS}|g ; \
|                  s|DATADIRNAME=lib|DATADIRNAME=share|g' ${WRKSRC}/configure
| get converted to USE_REINPLACE/${REINPLACE_CMD}?

Only if they don't depend on Perl explicitly.  I think that even though
a port might have perl in it's dependencies from something else it
requires, it shouldn't rely on USE_FOO giving it Perl.  But I don't
think this is something worth sweeping the tree for, rather just to
update gradually as those ports get updated themselves.

--pete