Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 00:52:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security: what does OpenBSD have, that FreeBSD doesn't have...

> What make OpenBSD so "secure" ? Or can this kind of security be
> reproduced with FreeBSD ports ? I think of tools like:

It's not the tools but the amount of time supposedly invested in
improving security.  I say "supposedly" because a lot of the buffer
overflow issues they've dealt with haven't been actual, proven
security holes per-se but rather just more examples of defensive
programming.  Sometimes it's actually preventative, other times it's
just an exercise in replacing every strcpy() with strncpy() (and so
on) because that's an easy thing to do.

It's a bit like the approach of putting more locks on your front door.
Maybe those extra locks will save your butt, maybe they'll just be
expensive extras for a house with nothing worth stealing and maybe the
thieves will use the window instead and just bypass the door
altogether - it's very hard to say.

What is certain is that having ANY faith in ANYONE'S security claims
as a substitute for properly diligent system administration is just
complete and utter foolishness.  Most attacks I've seen, in fact,
compromise *BSD (for all values of *BSD) and Linux equally through
well-known 3rd party utilities, like popper or sendmail, rather than
the "OS" itself.  I doubt that any group has enough resources to
completely audit even a small fraction of the 3rd party packages which
users are likely to run and, even if they did, each revision of a
package would necessitate auditing it all over again.

Don't trust anyone's security claims, *especially* when they claim to
be uncrackable or even "extremely secure."  Operating systems are
built by engineers, the same sort of engineers who built "unsinkable
ships" like the Titanic, and I think that pretty much says it all. :-)

- Jordan