Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:23:25 +0200
From:      Petko Popadiyski <petko@freebsd-bg.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reliable shell logs

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

Recently one of my systems was hacked. I succeded in stopping the hacker of=
 deleting files, so my logs from the syslogd weren't touched. The problem i=
s that I don't know what commends the hacker used while he was logged in my=
 system. i am using zshell 4.0.4, but I don't think that .history file is r=
eliable. In my case the shell was killed and it didn't managed to write the=
 logs from the loggin in the file. there are options like INC_APPEND_HISTOR=
Y, where the new history lines are added as soon as they are entered, but i=
n this case tha intruder can delete the history file, and i will see in it =
only "rm .history". I would like to know is there a way to log the used com=
mands incrementally with syslogd , which will provide secure logging (if sy=
slogd uses another computer for storing them).=20
 Also i would like to ask hot to make a user .history file unaccessible for=
 his owner ( to prevent it from deleting)?=20

--=20
Best wishes,
Petko Popadiyski
ICQ: 59468934