Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:22:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Takayuki Kaiso <tkaiso@got.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation hang up during probing devices (Sony Vaio PCG-Z505RX)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Takayuki Kaiso wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion.
> I found that disabling "memory stick" through the BIOS setup fixed this
> problem. After that, I used PAO to complete my installation.
> The internal modem does not work because the modem (Rockwell HCF 56K
> SpeakPhone PCI modem) is believed to be "Win Modem".
>
> thanks again
> taka
>
> <<FreeBSD 3.3 installation procedure for Sony Vaio PCG-Z505RX >>
> 1. On another machine, download PAO from www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO/
>      - kern.flp, mfsroof.flp, paodist.tar
> 2. Make two floppies  ( option )
>      - dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/rfd0
>      - dd if=mfsroof.flp of=/dev/rfd0
> 3. Start Vaio Z505, the hit "F2" immediately to setup BIOS
>      disable "memory stick" --> otherwise, the installer will hung up
>                                 while probing devices
> 4.  execute either 4A or 4B  ( I did 4B. )
>  4A. Start Vaio using installation CD #1
>  4B. Start Vaio again using "kern.flp" of PAO version (created in step 2.)
>      - select "configure" to select the target drivers
>          (otherwise, IRQ 11 for PC card driver conflicts later )
>      - remove all network drivers
>          (the ethernet driver is "fxp0" which is found in "PCI" )
> 5. Proceed the installation procedure
> 6. XF86Setup
>       - graphics : NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV : chipset=NM2200
> 7. Complete the installation
> 8. Customize the kernel to recognize PC card controller
>      - get "paodist.tar" via FTP/NFS  ("paodist.tar" in step 1.)
>      - copy "paodist.tar"file to /usr/src/
>      - untar "paodist.tar"
>      - cd PAO3
>      - read "README.install" and proceed the steps to customize kernel
>
> Restriction :
>  - the internal modem (Rockwell HCF 56K SpeakPhone PCI modem) is believed to
> be a winmodem, thus it can't not work with FreeBSD

CC'd to -mobile because of how informative this post it.

thanks, I've been looking at this model since I don't really care
for a modem and it has a built in fxp (! cool !) it seems like a
great buy.

thanks,
-Alfred

> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Takayuki Kaiso wrote:
> >
> > > I am now trying to set up my new laptop ( Sony Vaio PCG-Z505RX ) for
> > > FreeBSD 3.3, but the installation hang up at the very beginning stage.
> > > It showed "Probing devices, please wait(this can take a while)" message
> > > and actually it took forever.
> >
> > If it has a cdrom drive, try hitting the eject button a few times slowly.
> >
> > -Alfred

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]