Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:15:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        ken@plutotech.com
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ncrcontrol-like utility for CAM?

> Joe Greco wrote...
> > Will there be an ncrcontrol-like utility for CAM?  I'm mainly interested
> > in statistics, and was unable to find anything obvious after looking over
> > the CAM stuff in 3.0-19981015-BETA.  It'd be a nice addition, and it was
> > a feature I had always missed with the ahc (and others) driver.
>
> What kind of statistics?  Most interesting statistics should be available
> through systat(1), iostat(8) and vmstat(8).
>
> There are other stats that are recorded in the devstat(9) system, but that
> aren't displayed in the stats-display utilities.  (like the number of
> ordered tags, number of outstanding transactions)  There's a program on my
> ftp site that will dump out the contents of all the devstat(9) structures
> in the system:
>
> ftp://ftp.kdm.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/ds.c
>
> If there are stats that aren't available that you'd like to see, let me
> know so I can keep them in mind for future enhancements.

Well, yes...  heh, I sort of lost this thread a year ago.  :-)

I'd really like to see per-bus statistics.  i.e. I'd like to be able to
tell that the reason I'm seeing 3MB/sec to an UW drive on scbus0 is because
scbus0 is maxxed out (which you could determine if you had overall bus stats
for scbus0...)

I _think_ ncrcontrol provided that sort of information...

... Joe