Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:45:38 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell D600 odds-n-ends

> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:34:36 +0200
> From: Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 08:10:17AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > You can use atacontrol to detach a drive and allow its removal and to
> > add a new drive. One thing that does not work is adding a battery. Nate
> > is working on code to support this, but it's not at the top of his list
> > of things to get working in the ACPI code, so you can't add a battery,
> > yet. IF added, nothing bad happens...the system just does not recognize
> > that it's there.
>
> ah, right, i just verified this. i am now not so sure whether this worked
> at all (ie with apm), or whether i merely inserted the cdrom drive after
> boot back then when i last tested this.
> however, since on my thinkpad, the second battery is always drained
> completely before the primary one is touched, the only disadvantage i get
> is that i have an inaccurate remaining battery life display, until the
> second battery has been emptied. after that, for the life cycle of the
> primary battery, things are back normal.

It's been a while since I ran with apm, but I think that adding a battery
worked. I'm less sure that removing a disk works, but I think it did.

I've been running with ACPI for long enough that I forget that apm is
still commonly used.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)