Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:06:54 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: (off topic?) Best desktop

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:42:40 +0000
"Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used gnome for several years now after finding kde lacking in
> features but just tried kde and have to say I like the programs it
> comes with (but I find gnome easier to use).... I also know there are
> other desktops out there (as being defined as a something more then a
> high end window manager)... which is best?
[...]

Hi Aryeh,
i think you will get so many answers about this question... :D

I for one used to run fwvm2 under linux back in 95, then KDE... but since then I got a bit tired of the endless new tools for kde or gnome or this or that.. (eg, KDE front end for mplayer...what's wrong with mplayer, or gmplayer? ) anyway...

I've been using XFCE4 for a while. it's GTK-2 based, so most gnome apps work out the box without installing the whole shebbang. And then, i just install the apps that are useful to me, not what the KDE team decided to bundle in. (yes, there are segregated by packages...but i just feel like back in Windows...all that stuff you know you won't ever use...

(for that matter, i barely install XFCE own tools... rxvt is far more stable than Terminal, beep / xmms / gmplayer / xine work better than xfce's media player)..

What I did for a while is have all the desktops installed and use them under different users, to see how they compared. KDE / Gnome felt quite sluggish compared to XFCE. this may not be a problem for you, though.

good luck,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"It is a lesson which all history teaches wise men, to put trust in ideas, and not in circumstances."
   Emerson