Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:40:20 -0700
From:      "Jason Suplizio" <suplizio@blarg.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   More ProFTP

Hi all,
Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, the ftp service is still not
starting up.  Based on your advice, I've done the following:

Added this to the top of /etc/inetd.conf
1) ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/proftpd
 ftpd -l

2) changed the  /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
"AuthPAMAuthoritative            off"

3) changed /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
"ServerType                      inetd "

3) Forwarded port 21 and 20

4) Enabled passive ports in my /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
"PassivePorts 52300 52323"

5) everything looks fine in /etc/pam.d/ftpd --> although this shouldn't be
relative since we disabled it

So, not starting up when I reboot and if I try to start it on the command
line

[suplizio@dakota:/usr/local/libexec] $ sudo ./proftpd start
dakota.suplizio.net - fatal: Socket operation on non-socket
dakota.suplizio.net - (Running from command line? Use `ServerType
standalone' in config file!).

There is nothing in my logs