Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:39:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Runt frames = broken VLAN ?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:53:31 -0400 (EDT), Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com> said:
>
> > Disagree. Packet is either a runt or not a runt. It cannot be
> > inconsistently bridged it to one (trunk) interface but not to (access)
> > interface.
>
> Runt-ness is not a property of the contents of the frame, it's a
> property of the wire the frame is sent on.  A frame bridged from
> another network with no minimum frame length must be properly padded
> upon output if it is to be sent on an Ethernet.
Looking up the authoritative source:
http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1Q.html (click through on download, you
need to accept terms), I'm wrong, so apologies.

Section 7.2 (and C.4.4) says that switch or end station MAY pad the frame
to be 68 bytes, but it is not required, and that this frame must be padded
to 64 bytes when transmitted to non-trunk interface.

C.4.4.3 clearly states that "The implication of this is that, for correct
operation on 802.3/Ethernet, all devices have to be capable of correctly
handling tagged frames of less than 68 octets in length (C.4.4.3)."

But it still would be nice for it to interoperate with cisco by
implementing that optional thing...;)

-alex