Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:11:11 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade 3.4 to 4.0

In message <013e01bfdbff$23956540$0200000a@danco> "Dan O'Connor" writes:
: Really? Cool!  So, potentially, I can manually shut down all the daemon
: services (except sshd!) and do the 'make installworld' while still in
: multiuser mode?

Yes.  On my bouncer box, I just do a make installworld and I don't
worry.  For a production machine, I'd likely kill inetd, sendmail and
httpd before doing this.  ftpd too if necessary.

: >However, you need to make sure that you have a way to boot
: >hte old kernel if bad things happen with the new one..
:
: Well, I got bit by the ad driver's dislike of my old P90's IDE controller,
: so maybe remote upgrades aren't so good for major version updates...

No.  Bad idea.  If you have 20 identical machines, then maybe the
other 19 wouldn't be a bad risk.  But on the first one, you should be
there.

Warner