Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 20:01:09 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Mark Szlaga <mszlaga@umdsun2.umd.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet -> natd -> Dynamic-IP dialup (solved)

At 03:56 PM 5/13/98 -0400, Mark Szlaga wrote:
>Only two other questions.  IIRC there was a way to have pppd under linux to
>do a keepalive.  Is this possible for ppp?  As I want to keep a permanent
>connection as much as possible, with the least amount of extra programs
>being run (I had a keepup program written to dial and maintain the link in
>linux, but had many problems...).
I assume you mean you want the connection to not ping out. I just ran a
"ping -i 60 www.ibm.net > /dev/null &"

>Second, I read the "academic" section of the ppp primer and it set up a
>working DNS system.  This works nicely and I have no problems... for the
>local machine (eg. 127.0.0.1).  The problem is that it complains that
>192.168.1.1 does not have a valid DNS entry, but it works.  using
>nameserver 127.0.0.1
>in /etc/resolv.conf works fine.  using server 192.168.1.1 in nslookup works
>beautifully, but
>nameserver 192.168.1.1
>fails.

I've found that the PPP primer's instruction for DNS don't quite work. I
copied the examples out of the Unix System Administration Handbook (ISBN
0-13-151051-7, i found a good deal at Barnes and Nobles online).

Slightly modified files below (i'm not too sure if the file or directory
names match up)
/etc/named/named.boot:
directory /etc/named
cache		.		root.cache
primary	xor.com	xor.hosts
primary	21.108.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA	xor.rev
primary	0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA	local.rev

/etc/named/xor.hosts:
@		IN	SOA	xor.com. trent.xor.com. (
			144		; Serial
			21600		; Refresh
			1200		; Retry
			3600000	; Expire
			432000 )	; Minimum
		IN	NS	xor.COM.
		IN	NS	boulder.Colorado.EDU.
		IN	NS	cs.utah.edu.
		IN	A	192.108.21.1
		IN	MX	10 xor.com.
		IN	MX	50 boulder.colorado.edu.
localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
chimchim	IN	CNAME	xor.com.
ftp		IN	CNAME	xor.com.
bandicoot	IN	A	192.108.21.2
		IN	MX	10 xor.com.
mookie		IN	A	192.108.21.3
		IN	MX	10 xor.com.
chip-lw	IN	A	192.108.21.250
xor-gw		IN	A	192.108.21.254

/etc/named/xor.rev:
@		IN	SOA	xor.com. trent.xor.com. (
				21	; serial number
				7200	; refresh
				1800	; retry
				1209600 ; expire
				7200 ) ; minimum
		IN	NS	xor.com.
		IN	NS	boulder.colorado.edu.
		IN	NS	cs.utah.edu.
1		IN	PTR	xor.com.
2		IN	PTR	bandicoot.xor.com.
3		IN	PTR	mookie.xor.com.
250		IN	PTR	chip-lw.xor.com.
254		IN	PTR	xor-gw.xor.com.

/etc/named/local.rev:
@		IN	SOA	xor.com. trent.xor.com. (
				3	; serial number
				1209600 ; refresh
				1800	; retry
				1209600 ; expire
				1209600 ) ; minimum
		IN	NS	xor.com.
		IN	NS	boulder.colorado.edu.
1		IN	PTR	localhost.xor.com.

You'll need to change the domains, IPs, IP subnet, and NS servers to match
your network, of course. I took out all the MX records for my own subnet
since ml.org handles my domain. The Bind Operations Guide explains what the
individual options in the files do.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org