Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:08:02 -0600
From:      Support <rjn103s@mgr3.k12.mo.us>
To:        "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>, <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, mofree-unix@mail.connect.more.net
Subject:   RE: Is anyone using FreeBSD and samba with multiple interfaces on a single subnet?

Greetings,

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, C J Michaels wrote:
> Why not have 2 separate configuration files.  One for each interface, and
> start smbd and nmbd with the -s configfile option?

Yes this could be an option I believe with  interfaces on different
subnets, however with the interfaces are on same subnet the os will still
want to respond with the default card that it listens to the broadcast ("I
think from what I could test").

The main reason for this research was for bottleneck concerns.  I have disussed
this topic with several parties and the conclusion was made that the 100mbs nic
should drian the life from the cpu (in my case amd 400) OR saturate the network
before a bottleneck would occur at the network card.  I have monitored several
issuse and think for my situation the HD's will be the bottleneck should one
occur.  This can be fixed with raid (vinum is what I will be examining in the
summer).

Thanks for the reply!