Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 21:47:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   low cost consultant

I have heard of commercial consultants popping up lately for FreeBSD, but
those are largely for business uses.  I am wondering if there is a way I
can simply get support for my home FreeBSD box when I need help getting
something to work and these email lists just cannot help.

Like right now, I would simply like to have my sound card to work properly
as I once had it, and not have to figure out which drive and controller I
need for my hardware.  I have spent over 8 hours on it already and I
cannot seem to get it to work properly.

I get the sound to configure and build a new kernel with the new devices,
but X dies immediately upon using certain apps.  It does not make sense.

I would just like to make a couple of phone calls to a service that I can
trust to use root access on my machine (via ssh) and figure out my
hardware and provide the correct kernel config file and even build it and
make the correct devices for me to get going.

And if they are able to get my box working as it is supposed to with the
supported hardware I would be happy to pay them for their time, as 8 hours
lost of my own is worth more than 20 minutes spent on the phone with a
good FreeBSD consultant.

I am guessing there has to be some kind of service out there, but I am not
aware of any.  Perhaps cdrom.com offers a service like this.  There is
limited support, but no "here is my box, make it work" support.

Does anyone have any idea?  Would anyone like to provide a commercial
service like this for home users?  The service could be limited to setting
up sound, video, firewalls and networking services... stuff that can be
part of a service contract, not an all encompassing service.

If so, I and many others like me, would be very interested.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

fortune:
"I am not an Economist.  I am an honest man!"
		-- Paul McCracken