Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 19:28:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel K Fry <daniel.fry@unh.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ethernet card help

i am trying to get samba running on freebsd, but when i boot, i get a

ed1: device timeout

and when i run nmbd i get

/kernel: ed1: device timeout

i have no idea what this means or how to fix this, but i think it might
be a problem with my ethernet card.

i am using a d-link series 220 ethernet card and i am running freeBSD on a
Gateway 486DX-33

i'm trying to network the freeBSD machine with my win95 machine that has a
direct PPP conection to the outside through my com port. i have a
dynamically allocated IP address for that machine and i know the IP
address of our DNS server, but i'm not sure how to configure the network
interfaces on the freeBSD machine.

please help or point me to a better
reference.

thank you