Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2016 00:01:25 +0300
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   help request for testing zfs issue

Hi,

I'm trying to learn if a zfs issue can be reproduced on freebsd.
I myself have reproduced it on 10.3 and 11 beta inside a linux KVM vm,
and also on linux, but don't have a separate physical fbsd
installation at hand.

I'd really be grateful to someone who can take some of their time to
verify this.

Be aware that I expect the test machine to be rebooted if the test is
reproductible (or at least their zfs pools to become unavailable) so
this is not for people who have their rootfs on zfs unless they want
to take the risk of getting to a hang.

FWIW, the test machines have less than 4Gb of ram (the test vm was
tested with 1 and 3Gb) so maybe you want to limit the available ram at
boot time if you have more.

These are the steps that hang my pool under linux and under the fbsd vm:

mount -t tmpfs -o size=2662400k tmpfs /mnt/test/
cd /mnt/test
for l in `seq 0 9`; do dd bs=1M count=256 if=/dev/zero of=loop$l; done
zpool create -o failmode=continue -O logbias=throughput -O atime=off
-o autoreplace=on -O primarycache=metadata -O secondarycache=metadata
-O compression=lz4 -m /srv/big big raidz3 /mnt/test/loop*
dd if=/dev/zero of=/srv/big/file bs=4M #interrupt with ctrl-c after
some Gb written
ls -lh /srv/big/
du -csh /srv/big/
rm /srv/big/file
zfs set compression=off big
while true; do
dd if=/dev/zero of=/srv/big/file bs=4M #on freebsd11 dd never
complains about no free space left and just hangs and had to add
count=421
rm -f /srv/big/file
done

Some time after many iterations (as many as 370 on an ubuntu linux
machine), the pool should list write errors on it but no errors on
vdev or each disk. On linux the kernel prints a message but on freebsd
there is no message and you have to manually check for pool status.

Please cc me on replies or directly comment on the ZoL issue tracker
here https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/4832

Thank you in advance