Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:53:19 GMT
From:      PEB@amleth.demon.co.uk (Paul E. Bennett)
To:        nate@yogotech.com, (Nate Williams)
Subject:   Re: Bridging with 3C589D-COMBO on 4.2-RELEASE?

In message <15021.46309.150521.925816@nomad.yogotech.com> Nate Williams writes:

> > PS: In my experience, though FreeBSD has lots of advantages, it is
> > *much* less stable than Linux.  It's crashed -way- more than Linux ever
> > did; more even than Windows does at work (of course I push Windows a lot
> > less).  And I've had it lose files a couple of times when it came back
> > up after a hard crash like that.
> >
> > Is this at all normal?
> > Is it at all normal for folks with laptops?

[%X]

> My very strong suspicion is that you're boxed is misconfigured.
> Unfortunately, Linux may make it easier for you to configure your
> hardware correctly, so in some respects that it's difficult to configure
> your hardware correctly could be considered a 'bug' in FreeBSD.

Perhaps we might consider the lack of a probe utility that reports
back to the configuration engineer as a bug too. To someone who is,
admittedly, new to FreeBSD but who likes what he has seen of it so
far, I find that lack of a single utility that you can be told to
run which will properly discover what hardware you have attached
makes resolving proper configuartion more difficult. Being told,
as we have been, to use the Windows 9x/2k facilities to do such
probing would seem to be a bit of an admission that the FreeBSD
people have missed something important from the system. It would
seem to be more important to have such utilities these days as many
hardware manufactures are being really mean in the povision of
information about their products. They just provide a disk that will
configure the system for Win9x/2k and dis-regard any other OS
possibility.

OK, probe detection requires that the facilities for it are built
in to the probeable hardware. That was what the PnP issue was all
about. I get better results from my control systems (which are all
probable over the networks - but then I build them that way).

Incidently, I too have PCMCIA issues, raised through here, the misc
newsgroup and in email to those on the PAO project but have yet to
get resolved on my problems. I am a bit limited in time I can spend
plodding through all the masses of documentation as I need to do
other things with my days beside get my Dell laptop properly sorted
(starting to wish for 80 hour days here) but I would like to soon
be able to transfer my email, web-acces and other work related
stuff to that. I am, however, beginning to know the way in which
I want it all to operate. Now, is 4.3R going to have PCMCIA
Ether/Modem combo-card support?