Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 17:58:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        bri@sonicboom.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports network install

On Sat, 22 May 1999 bri@sonicboom.org wrote:

#
# I was wondering if anything will be done about the network
# install/download of the ports package.  The rest of my network install
# screalms at over 100k/sec, but at the ports section, its like I have a
# modem again.

I don't think there is anything to fix.  What you are seeing
is the effects of extracting and creating ~75K files.  I believe
sysinstall is doing something along these lines.

	fetch -o- ftp://some.host/ports.tgz | (cd /usr; tar xzf -)

To see the same kind of effect but in reverse, after you install
the ports tree try this.

	cd /usr; tar czf /tmp/ports.tgz ports

Take a long dinner break and you'll be lucky if it is done by the
time you come back. :)

-steve