Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:19:28 +0000
From:      "Ivailo A. Tanusheff" <ITanusheff@postbank.bg>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZVOL and snapshots length problem

Dear all,

I have some trouble creating and manipulating ZVOL on my server. I am using=
 FreeBSD 10 and I am creating a little bit sophisticated structure, where I=
 create several file systems and volumes inside them for easy manipulation a=
nd snapshot management.
An example structure is:
<POOL> / <General type of system> / <Application System name, if any> / <Ser=
ver name> / <Volume name>

Whenever my ZVOL path exceeds 63 characters, both when creating volume or sn=
apshot,  I receive this error in my messages log:
Feb 20 13:05:04 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=
=3Dzvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/DB@Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:05, error=3D=
22)
Feb 20 13:05:04 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=
=3Dzvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/FS@Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:05, error=3D=
22)
Feb 20 13:05:05 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=
=3Dzvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/Report@Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:05, erro=
r=3D63)

Feb 20 13:10:05 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=
=3Dzvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/DB@Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:10, error=3D=
22)
Feb 20 13:10:05 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=
=3Dzvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/FS@Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:10, error=3D=
22)
Feb 20 13:10:05 FreeBSD kernel: g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=
=3Dzvol/TANK/Bank system/Core/Report@Daily_operations_2015-02-20-13:10, erro=
r=3D63)

As far as I digged into it this is due to impossibility of creation  of /dev=
/zvol/... pointing to that volume or snapshot, while the volume/snapshot is=
 still visible in the zfs list tree, although I am not quite sure I can use=
 it.

Is there any way to fix this behavior or this is an implementation bug, not=
 described in the manual?
If I create shorter names the problem disappears, but this is contra version=
 of what I needed, so it is a not acceptable solution.

Regards,

Ivailo Tanusheff
Head of Demand and Project management department
Information Technologies Division

Disclaimer:

This communication is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, y=
ou are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking=
 any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly proh=
ibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication by mista=
ke, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete=
 it from your system.
Eurobank Bulgaria AD is not responsible for, nor endorses, any opinion, reco=
mmendation, conclusion, solicitation, offer or agreement or any information=
 contained in this communication.
Eurobank Bulgaria AD cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or co=
mpleteness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.=
 If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended, pleas=
e call the sender.