Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 01:34:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      mk@capri.pl
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 on ultra2: scsi disk not detected

> > This is definitely strange.  The only thing I can think of is that
>
> FWIW, I have seen this problem on my Ultra 1E also. I d did some
> testing, and there was no way I could use two disks in the machine, if I
> was booting from a disk with FreeBSD on it.
> One of the disks would always show error(s). But, if the same disk was
> alone in the machine, it worked fine.
>
> I have NetBSD and OpenBSD on two disk, perhaps I should test with those
> as well.

My case is a little bit different - there's trouble even with single disk.
Offending example is IBM DRVS09D, I have it as target 0, CDROM is target
6, booting FreeBSD install from CDROM succeeds, but there are few SCSI
parity errors while detecting disks, and finally disk doesn't get
detected. It happens the same way with this disk alone, and together
with second disk. So dual disk setup is not the cause.
Really, really strange, because disk gets detected properly by OpenBoot
probe-scsi command, there's Solaris installed on this disk and it boots
fine, so it is working properly (I assume), only FreeBSD sees some kind of
problem. But there must be something about it, because Linux also is
unable to initiate dialogue with this disk.

Best regards,

--
Michal Konieczny
mk@capri.pl