Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:29:31 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plan for integrating Secure RPC -- comments wanted

<<On 16 Dec 1996 15:00:58 +0000, Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk> said:

> I had a discussion with someone in the Perl group who was from ORA. He
> claimed FreeBSD was being overly restrictive in it's lack of DES
> code. He cited NetBSD and 4.4 claiming that both were exportable
> because the DES code was only being used for authentication and not
> encryption.

He is wrong, mostly.  We /could/ export libdescrypt, but IN BINARY
FORM ONLY.  (We'd probably have to get a CJ and a license ruling from
the Commerce Department first, just to be safe.)  Exporting the source
code is problematic, because it could easily be turned back into an
ordinary encryption/decryption engine.  (The libcrypt/libcipher split
was done in this way under my guidance specifically to make it easier
for someone to get an export license for a binary distribution
containing libdescrypt.)

The exception the ORA person was thinking of is how DEC is able to
export Kerberos in binary form.  They in-line the DES code into libkrb
where it's called, and don't provide the krb_*_priv() functions which
provide indirect access to the encryption mechanism.  This allows them
to create a library which is only capable of performing
authentication, not providing privacy, and so the government allows
them to export it.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick