Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2019 12:47:56 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Increasing shutdown timeout

Hello.

I'm having some problems on different servers with shutdown timeout.

For the curious, it ranges from bhyve VMs failing to stop (and keeping
running as zombie, preventing real shutdown after init died), to NUT
shutdown script not having the chance to run (so the UPS power won't get
killed and the servers won't come up again unless all batteries are
fully drained before the power comes back).

First: why not?
Are there good reasons NOT to increase this timeout? Possible side effects?
Any experience with an high value?

Second: how?
I see there's "rcshutdown_timeout" that can be set in /etc/rc.conf, but
also "kern.init_shutdown_timeout" sysctl.
I read the latter is obsolete and not used since years. Seeing it there
raises the doubt. Is it still valid?
Should I increase both?

  bye & Thanks
	av.