Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:03:09 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Daniel Haischt <danielh@privat.toplink.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: simple linkdown script

Daniel Haischt wrote:

> HIYA
>
> I want to do a simple linkdown script for my ppp connection.
>
> Can anybody tell me why the script below wont work?
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # Simple linkdown script for ppp
> #
> kill 'cat /var/run/tun0.pid'
>
> If i just type cat /var/run/tun0.pid it shows me a valid PID,
> but if I type kill 'cat /var/run/tun0.pid' or if I run the script above
> I'll allways get the following err:
>
> kill: Arguments should be jobs or process id's

Hi, I don't know too much about ppp - but isn't that script called after the
link has been taken 'down', i.e. /var/run/tun0.pid is going to be non existant
/ emtpy?

Try putting an:

echo `cat /var/run/tun0.pid` >/tmp/test_ppp.pid

Before it... Also make sure your using the right single quotes - you have the
wrong one's in your original mail... (should both be ` not ')

Regards,

Karl