Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:44:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config, other kernel build tools

> At 8:40 PM 11/9/95, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >Like putting them in a "tools" dir at the same level as the kern and
> >compile and arch specific directories.
>
> I certainly have no problem with that location in src/
> Now I'll throw in the "ringer".  gcc and make are also "tools".

I think I can safely argue that you're not allowed to include them
because they aren't allowed to change as frequently as the config
program.  8-).

Not that the config program should be allowed to change as fast as
it has without providing guarantees re: backward compatability.

> >Right.  But I can't use it because using it entails murdering the one
> >for the current system (ie: installing it).
>
> That's because the present make system is EVIL, CORRUPT, and should be
> ERATICATED. Anybody who builds on top of the running system is like the
> proverbial guy out on the limb with saw in hand sawing between himself and
> the trunk.

Aha!  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org