Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:46:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        mike <mike@labs.unixhideout.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: simple question

> mike <mike@labs.unixhideout.com> writes:
>
> > Hello all, The easiest way of going about this is giving you a example. I am in /usr and i want to tar -xzvf ports.tar.gz, but i want to continue working in my shell while this process runs in the background. What would i type to make the output of that command not show but at the end simply do let me know its finished? thanks guys

You could just put it in the background with '&':

$ tar xzvf ports.tar.gz &

although in that case I don't know why you'd want the 'v' arg. You will be
alerted when the tar job is done, the shell will issue an alert as soon as
you hit 'enter' and the job is done. It's kind of hard to explain.

Get a copy of 'UNIX in a Nutshell' :)

HTH - JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg