Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2013 21:02:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jared Barneck <rhyous@yahoo.com>
To:        "advocacy@freebsd.org" <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I referenced FreeBSD in my Utah-based urban fantasy novel

Hello fellow=C2=A0FreeBSD=C2=A0friends,=0A=0AI just released an urban fanta=
sy novel today, Fire Light by J. Abram Barneck, and wanted to let you know =
that I added two references to FreeBSD in the novel.=C2=A0They aren't amazi=
ng references or anything. I just wanted the FreeBSD team to know that I wa=
s thinking of them, even when doing something non-FreeBSD-ish.=0A=0AI guess=
 publishing a novel wasn't completely non-FreeBSD-ish. I used some open sou=
rce tools when writing this book. I wrote a significant portion of this boo=
k on PC-BSD with Open Office. I used Sigil, an open source eBook tool, to m=
ake the eBook, and my ebook is in HTML and CSS and is in source control.=0A=
=0AOne of the references is followed by an intentional use of an old spelli=
ng for a word common both to BSD and fantasy.=0A=0A=0ABelow is my press rel=
ease if anyone is interested in seeking out the book and finding the two BS=
D references.=0A=0ALater,=0A=0AJ. Abram=0A Barneck (i.e. Rhyous)=0A=0AUtah-=
Based Urban Fantasy Novel Released=0AOctober 14, 2013 marks the official re=
lease date for author J. Abram Barneck=E2=80=99s Urban Fantasy debut novel =
Fire Light. The bulk of the novel takes place in Utah which sets it apart f=
rom others in its genre. Fire Light is intended to be the first of four tee=
n/young adult books featuring main character Jake Stevens.=0AJake is a jeek=
=E2=80=94part jock, part geek=E2=80=94who finds out he=E2=80=99s an unwitti=
ng target of genocide against a secret society known as the Druids=E2=80=94=
a society he didn=E2=80=99t even know he belonged to.=0AO=E2=80=99Brien, on=
e of the last druids, is his mentor. Unfortunately, he is a dud when it com=
es to magic, but at least he is ex-military.=0AAs for picking his girlfrien=
d . . . well, that=E2=80=99s a split decision. Alexis and Kendra are opposi=
tes in almost every way.=0ANow, if he can just survive the nightwalker=E2=
=80=94an obsidian-skinned creature with a thirst for blood and a banshee's =
mind-destroying scream, who wears a cloak black enough to make the grim rea=
per jealous=E2=80=94then he might have a chance.=0AUltimately, protecting h=
is loved ones, and himself if possible, becomes his priority.=0AFire Light =
is available on Amazon=C2=A0and will be available in paperback and audio in=
 the future.=0AFire Light is a novelization of a short story J. Abram Barne=
ck wrote a few years ago based on the idea of a young man casting a magic m=
issile in real life. Realizing the story would progress well into a novel, =
Barneck got to work adding characters and changing the story from third to =
first person.=0AJ.Abram Barneck graduated from Brigham Young University wit=
h a BA in English with an emphasis in Science Fiction and Fantasy Creative =
Writing. At BYU, he was the Assistant Fiction Director for Leading Edge the=
 Sci-fi/Fantasy magazine. Barneck=E2=80=99s poem, The Sentinel, was publish=
ed in Issue 48 of Leading Edge under the pseudonym Abram Jacobs.