Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:59:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Subject:   Re: IDE vs SCSI was: flags 80ff works (like anybody doubted it)

Hi Tom;  On 26-Aug-97 you wrote:

>  On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> > I would think the disk subsystem would be the primary limiting factor
> > here.  What mix of controllers and drives were these tests run on?
> >
> > It would also be interesting to run this simulation against a striped
> > set of SCSI drives.  It would also be enlightening if you ran the same
> > test against your striped set of IDE drives.
>
>    I'm sure this was done on a stripped drives, using the fastest known
>  SCSI controller, and hardware cache.  See "freebsd-scsi" archives.

I do not know about the ``fastest'' bit, but the DPT controllers are
pretty good at certain things.  he point was not ``my SCSI is better han
your IDE'', but rather to illustrate some of the capab
ilities in FreeBSD
we tend to forget at times (it is an Excellent O/S), or what to look for,
IMHO, when building a machine for a specific task.

Simon