Date:      21 Feb 1999 21:30:29 +0100
From:      Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE
To:        "Francis @ TL" <francis@cyberway.com.sg>
Cc:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help on FreeBSD (2.2.5) Lite Based 32-bit OS

"Francis @ TL" <francis@cyberway.com.sg> writes:

  > After installed the FreeBSD, the boot up process is very slow with
  > messages scrolling on the screen before it arrives to the login
  > prompt. Why is this so and what are these messages for actually?
  > Can we in any way speed up the bootup process?

(1) What are all these messages for?

    Well, during bootup, the system does a number of things, and
    whenever something is done, the system tells you about it.  For
    instance, rather early on in the boot process, the kernel tries to
    probe the hardware installed.  By closely watching these messages
    (type `dmesg' to see them after the system has booted; they are
    also in the file /var/log/messages) you can tell exactly what
    happened.  For instance, suppose the Ethernet card fails, then the
    system will tell you about it.

    Later on, a number of programs are started which provide certain
    services.  The system tells you about each process started, and it
    emits an error message if that fails.

(2) How can I speed up booting?

    For me, the longest time spent is waiting 15 seconds for the SCSI
    devices to settle.  You can configure the kernel to wait a shorter
    time, but I tried it and found that I had to boot the system twice
    with the shorter time.

    What also takes time is probing for hardware.  The `generic'
    kernel includes support for a lot of hardware, you might want to
    compile your own kernel with support for just those pieces you
    actually have.

    Starting all the daemons also takes time, you might want to turn
    off the ones you don't need.  See /etc/rc.conf or
    /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

kai
--
I like _b_o_t_h kinds of music.