Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 2002 18:41:23 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for testers of new ATA driver patches

Soren,

I have now installed the patched ATA driver on three systems and had
no problems on two of them. Unfortunately the third...CRASH!

Patches applied cleanly on all three systems. Kernels rebuilt fine on
all systems.

1. K6-3 450 MHz on ASUS P5A motherboard with ALI Award BIOS. Fujitsu
MPE316AT 13.6 GB 7200 RPM disk and Maxtor 91366U4 13.6 GB 7200 RPM
disk. Root on Fujitsu drive and everything else on the Maxtor.

2. IBM ThinkPad 600E with PIII@366 MHz CPU. IBM DARA-212000 12 GB disk.

3. Dell OptiPlex 150 with 1 GHz PIII with IBM IC35L040AVER07-0 38 GB
and IBM IC35L020AVER07-0 19 GB disks, everything on the 38 GB drive.

The first two seem to be running OK. The third crashed when the new
kernel was booted. Booted stand-alone and attempted to mount
partitions to installworld. Did an 'fsck -p'. Three of four partitions
completed quickly. The system then paused for several seconds and then
crashed on a trap 12.

As the system was stand-alone, I have no copy of the crash, but it was
repeatable and I and transcribe the crash message. Just not too soon
as I may not be in the office where that system is located until
Thursday.

Let me know what you want. I can provide the dump file (though I'll
have to set up the system to dump the crash), configuration,
dmesg.boot, or whatever you need. Just let me know. The system is on a
4 Mbps line and I can move data fairly quickly.

Sorry I can't send you a complete package at this time. The failing
system is the only one I don't have immediate physical access to.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)