Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:59:17 +0400
From:      Sergey Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
To:        Jason Suplizio <suplizio@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More ProFTP

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 08:40:20PM -0700,
 Jason Suplizio probably wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, the ftp service is still not
> starting up.  Based on your advice, I've done the following:
>=20
> Added this to the top of /etc/inetd.conf
> 1) ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/proftpd
>  ftpd -l
>=20
> 2) changed the  /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
> "AuthPAMAuthoritative            off"
>=20
> 3) changed /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
> "ServerType                      inetd "
>=20
> 3) Forwarded port 21 and 20
>=20
> 4) Enabled passive ports in my /usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf
> "PassivePorts 52300 52323"
>=20
> 5) everything looks fine in /etc/pam.d/ftpd --> although this shouldn't be
> relative since we disabled it
>=20
> So, not starting up when I reboot and if I try to start it on the command
> line
>=20
> [suplizio@dakota:/usr/local/libexec] $ sudo ./proftpd start
> dakota.suplizio.net - fatal: Socket operation on non-socket
> dakota.suplizio.net - (Running from command line? Use `ServerType
> standalone' in config file!).
>=20

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but you're trying to start the daemon in
standalone mode, while you also have inetd listening on the same port to
launch the ftpd once a connection has been established.

You shouldn't have to run the `proftpd start' command if you've set up
inetd. Try `ftp localhost', and inetd should launch the server (if your
inetd setup is correct).

--=20
DoubleF
You have the body of a 19 year old.  Please return it before it gets
wrinkled.

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--